Hello,

I've finally started using the django-gis branch, which looks perfect
for me needs, however I am currently having a database persistence
problem.

I have a simple model which maps a point to a UserProfile model. This
is in a separate table as spacial indexes can't be Null and I want to
keep it optional.

class Location(models.Model):
    user_profile = models.OneToOneField(UserProfile)
    location = models.PointField()
    map_zoom_level = models.IntegerField(blank=True, null=True)

    class Admin:
        pass

I can create and save a Location object with no problems

>>> location = Location(user_profile=up, location=Point(5,5))
>>> location.save()
>>> location.location.get_x()
5.0

However when reloading this location I get problems

>>> up = UserProfile.objects.get(pk=1)
>>> location = up.location
>>> location
<Location: Location object>
>>> location.location
@@
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/db/models/proxy.py",
line 36, in __get__
    geom = self._klass(geom_value)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/contrib/gis/geos/base.py",
line 67, in __init__
    raise ValueError('String or unicode input unrecognized as WKT
EWKT, and HEXEWKB.')
ValueError: String or unicode input unrecognized as WKT EWKT, and HEXEWKB.

The value in the database is similar to the two @s shown above, but I
presume that's as it's saved in some sort of encoded way
mysql> select * from user_location;
| user_profile_id | location                  | map_zoom_level |
|               1 |              @      @ |           NULL |