mOne,

I use a system that uses the main urls.py and a change on the apache
site config.

This allows me to have all the files in one repository and see it when
I'm using the development server,
but use apache to deliver the files when on the production server.

in urls.py you put in:

     (
         r'^static/(?P<path>.*)$',
         'django.views.static.serve',