Hi folks,

My first post on the forum! I've been watching the threads for a
while, but now I need your help :)

For a recent project, my users sometimes get the following error:
(this error is output raw to the user, as text sent back to the
browser as the response content)

******
Mod_python error: "PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython"
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
299, in HandlerDispatch
     result = object(req)
   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/django/core/handlers/
modpython.py", line 177, in handler
     return ModPythonHandler()(req)
   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/django/core/handlers/
modpython.py", line 154, in __call__
     response = middleware_method(request, response)
   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/django/contrib/sessions/
middleware.py", line 99, in process_response
     datetime.datetime.now() +
datetime.timedelta(seconds=settings.SESSION_COOKIE_AGE))
   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/django/contrib/sessions/
models.py", line 44, in save
     s = self.model(session_key, self.encode(session_dict), expire_date)
   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/django/contrib/sessions/
models.py", line 10, in encode
     pickled = pickle.dumps(session_dict)
   File "copy_reg.py", line 69, in _reduce_ex
     raise TypeError, "can't pickle %s objects" % base.__name__
TypeError: can't pickle function objects
******

'Can't pickle function objects'

I can't seem to understand why on earth Django is trying to pickle a
'function' into the user's session.
This error often happens when users leave their browser open and try
to continue the process later on (a few hours later).

I did not change the settings.SESSION_COOKIE_AGE parameter, which
means that it is set at the default value (2 weeks from the
documentation). So the problem is not about the session's age.

Now I'm left thinking that it might be my fault : have I put something
wrong in the session ?
In this case, the session contains, at most, one or two strings and 1
or 2 unsaved or saved (persisted) model instances.
Is it right (or legal) to put an unsaved model instance in a user's
session ?

Thanks for your help !

--
David