I'm using apache2.0+mod_fastcgi with flup prefork django 0.95+. With large
requests we see an error return from the server (not django), but using top I
can see the python process (presumably for the large request) ticking away
using
up lots of memory/cpu. At some point the python process stalls (I think because
it wants to write to the now defunct pipe or whatever).

I see these messages in the apache error log
FastCGI: comm with server "/......xxxx.fcgi" aborted: idle timeout (30 sec),
referer: ........
  FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server
"/......xxxx.fcgi",
referer: ........

so I'm guessing that the apache end of the fastcgi pipe is timing out. Is there
a way for the django/flup side to signal that the request is not dead.

I find it a bit strange that the django side doesn't seem to care about whether
the apache side is alive or dead.
--
Robin Becker