hello again. thanks for all the help that everyone has offered me
here.

I have a generic django application called categories and it serves to
provide categories for various apps suchas a weblog or an articles
application. So a weblog and article app both have a M2M relation to
the catergories app. what I am wanting to do is count how many
occurrences of a category are found for a particular application. So
if my weblog had a category called politics, it would count how many
weblogs have a relation with that. Is this possible with out putting a
category_counter field in? I notice that there is a .count() method
but not really sure how to apply it to what I am attempting to do.

-model looks like:
name
slug
content_type

-my call:
test =
Category.objects.filter(content_type__app_label__exact='weblog')
how would I count the number of occurrences of a category called
politics?