Am Sonntag, 27. Januar 2008 19:39 schrieb MariusB:
> I'm trying to take a link as an argument, open it, read it's content
> and then display the first 50 characters from it.
> First of all, I've tried to put the code in the views.py, but I didn't
> make it. Now I made a middleware component with this code:

No, middleware is not the right place. Use a view.

I would use GET (not POST) since you don't modify anything and
testing is easier:

def url_head(request):
    c=urllib.urlopen(request.GET['url'])
    content=c.read()

> but the page seems to load forever and I'm stuck! I've read the
> chapters from the djangobook, searched on the Internet, but I still
> haven't found a solution.

Maybe that's a firewall problem. Can you access the page with e.g. wget
from the shell? Is there a proxy? Maybe you need to set the http_proxy
environment variable.

You can try the view by uncommenting urlopen() and c.read() and setting
content to a string.

 HTH,
  Thomas