> If I am not mistaken, {% if page.pods.all %} should evaluate to False
> if there are no pods, so you can enclose your <div> with that and it
> should work as you'd like.

Thanks, Eduardo. That's a good idea, and that's where I was heading.
It works in a way. But if I understand you correctly, if there's a pod
in any block then all of the other blocks show their blank div's.

For instance, if there's a pod in the leftcolumn block, but none in
the rightcolumn block, then the leftcolumn block shows up as it
should, but the rightcolumn block still shows a blank div. That's
because page.pods.all is true. Does that make any sense?