Thanks, I figured out the problem.

For anyone else that might experience this; in my case I had created a
new app named "calendar" which, obviously, conflicted with the Python
system's calendar module.

I've opened a ticket to have the error message clarified for future
users, if it's possible.  Maybe something that indicates which module
Django tried to read the missing symbols from instead of just an error
indicating it couldn't find them.

We'll see if anyone else agrees with me.

David