On Jan 29, 2008 11:18 PM, Mark Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I agree on the loadbalancer front but the overhead for all
> those TCP connections (and pgpool managing them) worries me a bit.

I've used pgpool in production with great success, so I'm not really
sure what overhead you're talking about.

> Furthermore, and much more serious, I see no way to ensure
> graceful degration in case of overload.

And here you completely change the topic of discussion from persistent
pooling of connections to failover when a database reaches its maximum
connection level, so I'm not really sure what it has to do with
anything...

> So, long story short, I see no way out of this without
> proper connection pooling built right into django.
> Or am I missing something?

You're missing the fact that you've switched from asking about pooling
to asking about failover.

Also, your solution would mean that:

1. Django must have its own configuration for the number of
connections it's allowed to use, how long to keep them alive and how
often to retry them in case of failure, and this must be updated if
and when use patterns change.
2. Django must have its own configuration for being notified of what
every other client application of the same database is doing, and this
must be updated if and when use patterns change.
3. Every other client application of the same database must have
similar dual configuration to know what it's allowed to do and what
everybody else is doing, and these must be updated if and when use
patterns change.

Or you could just use a single external utility to manage database
connections, thus keeping all that essentially infrastructural cruft
out of the application layer while giving you a single place to
configure it and a single place to make changes when you need them.