On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 23:01 +0000, Tim Sawyer wrote:
> Thanks everyone, I've been reading my Python In a Nutshell ("covers python
> 2.2!") and it's reminded me of what I've forgotten!
>
> Any suggestions for good books?  Was going to get the django book and the
> O'Reilly Python Cookbook.
>
> On Tuesday 29 Jan 2008, Ivan Illarionov wrote:
> > or, better:
> >    def name(self):
> >         return '%s %s' % (self.forenames, self.surname)
>
> why is this "better"?  Performance or just clearer code?

"Better" because, for one thing, it's more robust.

py>>> a = 'Hello'
py>>> b = 'World'
py>>> a + ' ' + b
'Hello World'
py>>> '%s %s' % (a, b)
'Hello World'
py>>> b = 4
py>>> a + ' ' + b
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'int' objects
py>>> '%s %s' % (a, b)
'Hello 4'