The design pattern is a toaster popup.  You can achive this using CSS
+ JavaScript, for example with jQuery.  For example, you could use
this CSS to hide your message area:

.messages {
  position:absolute;
  z-index:50000;
  top: -300px;
  left: 300px;
  width: 250px;
  margin: 0 auto;
  height:150px;
  padding: 10px;
  opacity:0;
}

This will position the box outside the screen area, you can then use
jquery to detect if it's on screen, if a message has been passed to
the view:

function($) {
        $(document).ready(function() {
            $('.message').find(function(), {
                    $(this).animate({top: 10, opacity: 1}, 1000, function() {
                            $(this).animate({ top: -150, opacity: 0 },
1000, function(){
                                $(this).remove();
                        });
                    });
                });
          });
})(jQuery);

This will animate the message on the screen, and then remove it again,
and then remove it from the DOM.

Hope that helps

--
Tane Piper
Blog - http://digitalspaghetti.me.uk

This email is: [ ] blogable [ x ] ask first [ ] private