On Feb 6, 2008, at 10:55 PM, Florian Lindner wrote:

> I'm writing my own blogging application for Django (yes, I want to
> reinvent the wheel, for learning and fun) ;-)

More power to you! :P

> According to documentation django.contrib.markup provides an interface
> to markdown, textile and restructered text. Now I wonder which one to
> choose for a) blog entries b) comments
>
> For a) it's important for me to have the possibility to embed raw
> HTML. AFAIK markdown provides hat possiblity, is it also possible with
> textile and reST?
>
> For b) it's important the output is more or less pretty also if the
> writer is not aware of using a markup language. Or should I just stick
> with {{ comment.content | escape | urlizetrunc:40 | linebreaks }}?
>
> What are your experiences?

Personally, I would favor Markdown as it would address (a) and (b) out
of the box, i.e. you can get fancy stuff in raw HTML if needed and
people not aware of the syntax will get decent result out-of-the-box...

As an example, here is a, hmm, homemade wiki engine which uses Markdown:

http://svr225.stepx.com:3388/main
http://svr225.stepx.com:3388/main.txt
http://svr225.stepx.com:3388/main/editor

Tangentially related... Once you have your blogging app up and
running... read a bit about spambots :))

http://nedbatchelder.com/text/stopbots.html

Cheers,

PA.