Hi all,

I am trying to figure out if I can use Django's sites-system in a
small experiment I am conducting. Please bear with me, as I am still
struggling to fully understand the sites-system. I am using the svn
version of Django (currently rev 7106, I believe).

I would like to build a site published on *one* address (e.g.
example.com) where users can register for something like a "master
account" and several "normal accounts" and get their own little
sandbox to handle their data (this would be similar to a site, but it
would not have its own domain name; let's call this a
"pseudo-domain").

The idea, of course, is to handle data for multiple pseudo-domains in
the same database, while still disallowing people from one
pseudo-domain access to the data of another pseudo-domain. This would
be useful for a whole suite of software-as-a-service deployments; e.g.
if I where to offer a service of "Family Accounting" (just a silly
example), a family would setup a master account (the "administrator")
and several normal accounts, and then they could happily start
entering their earnings and spendings, resting assured that no one
outside their pseudo-domain would see their accounting status.

As far as I can tell, the Django site-system relies on the different
sites having different domains, while my requirement seems to indicate
that the "site" (or pseudo-domain) should be decided by the logged in
user rather than the domain name, so I am a bit pessimistic that I can
accomplish what I say above, even though the two use cases seems very
similar data-handling-wise; please tell me I am wrong... :-)

Also, is there a way to play with the sites-system using runserver? It
seems you need to have multiple settings-files (which I guess would be
simple using e.g. Apache and a bunch of virtual hosts), but it seems I
cannot do that with runserver.

Kind Regards,

johan