I made a patch for Django to add QuerySet.fields(*fields,
**related_fields) and make possible to load only some from master and
related models fields. It allows to tune various object list queries
when we need only limited subset of all fields, improve general
performance and decrease database load. As side effect of this patch
support of selecting fields from related models in QuerySet.values()
is implemented too. It was changed signature of this method from
values(*fields) to values(*fields, **related_fields) but the change is
backward compatible.

See more details at:
http://www.mysoftparade.com/blog/django_orm_performance_patch/