If you want to use Django user database for HTTP Basic/Digest
authentication across static files and other non Django URLs, as well
as Django, then you can also use mod_wsgi 2.0 instead of mod_python.
See:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/AccessControlMechanisms

When using the mod_python way of doing things, Digest type
authentication is not an option where as it is with mod_wsgi (provided
you are using Apache 2.2 :-)). The mod_wsgi support for group
authorisation also matches better the Apache way of doing things.

Graham