On Sun, 2008-02-24 at 16:12 -0800, jphoude wrote:

> I'm having the same problem with django svn (rev 7135). It happens only with
> fcgi (I'm using lighttpd), not with "runserver". Also, sometimes there's no
> error, but usually the second time I reload an exception is raised (so the
> same page can display fine one time, and the next time it raises an error).
>
> Putting DATABASE_OPTIONS = { 'charset': 'latin1', } in settings.py seems to
> fix the problem.
> My DB, tables and fields are set to utf8_general_ci.

This means that almost certainly you don't, in fact, have correct UTF-8
data in your tables. Some ISO-8859-1 codepoints seem to have slipped in.
You should write a script to run through the data and make sure it
really is all UTF-8 (and re-encode that stuff that isn't).

Somebody posted here a couple of weeks ago pointing out they had arrived
in the same situation because their data was created by a PHP app (which
doesn't seem to do the encoding correctly).

Regards,
Malcolm

--
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/