I'm not certain about the practicality of this (it may have security
or performance implications that i'm unaware of), but i've often
thought about mounting the media server as a network drive on your
dynamic server and giving Django full read-write privileges. This
would mean that you don't actually have to write any special code to
use your separate server since Django wouldn't need to know that the
file is going somewhere completely different.