Hi Malcolm:

> Are you sure you haven't inadvertently introduced newlines into the
> strings here? Can show us what the corresponding lines in the PO file
> look like (include the comments before the msgid bit as well).

This is what the PO file looks like:

#: templates/host.html:14
#, fuzzy, python-format
msgid "This is the count: %(xyz)s"
msgstr "Das ist die Anzahl: %(xyz)s"

> I'm assuming by "not working" you mean the string is being displayed in
> English rather than, say, German. You're not saying the string doesn't
> display at all, right?

Correct. As I said, at first it does display in German. Once I add
another variable it goes back to English and stays there. I have a
feeling it boils down to either my mistake or something in the
creation of the PO file. I don't know enough about gettext to dive
into debugging, sadly.

> My bet is that the last problems are human error, but I'd like to
> understand them to see if we can bullet-proof this a bit more.

Thank you for your effort,

Jonas