Serving static media really has nothing to do with Django.  Presumably
your browser is reading the CSS file and making a request back to your
web server for the file.  You haven't told us anything about your web
server configuration.  What path is being requested to the server for
the image file?  How is your web server handling that request?

If you're using the development server, was there anything in the
serving static media FAQ that you did not understand?