That's helpful and I'll likely take that approach but I believe that
means I have two almost identical tables?

I'll likely get these table names wrong don't pay too much attention
to them....Say I created a UserLink class that had user, link, and
date_created. I think I'd end up with a users_user_link and a
users_userlink table which are identical except one contains the added
date_created column right?

Ideally I'd just have the one table or am I missing something?

thanks,
brydon