It might be worth adding that this approach works for Django because
development takes place on branches not the trunk. Other open source
projects may use the trunk for development, in which case what people
are saying about how often they update Django won't apply to those
projects.

Just thought I'd add that as the original poster is new to getting
stuff from svn.

James