Specifically, you might look at http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/9/.

This allows you to do something like:

    {% expr candidate.vote_set.filter(vote='TU').count() as count %}

and now {{count}} can be used in the current context.

If you find yourself yearning for Total Python Power in your
templates, you might consider using a different templating system.
Note: I have not used either of these, but I am starting a new project
next month and will be taking a hard look at both of them.

Jinja (http://jinja.pocoo.org/) is, by design, very similar to
Django's template syntax. It compiles the templates to Python code for
speed. I particularly like its support for macros with arguments.

There is also Mako (http://www.makotemplates.org/).
Here is a snippet that shows how to integrate Mako with Django.
http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/97/

  HTH,
  Peter