I currently use lighttpd and fastcgi, and I noticed that in the django
documentation that they mention using threaded instead of prefork when
running your fcgi server.

I had the same fears and I used prefork first, but after some load
testing of both, I decided to use threaded.  I'm a brave soul and I
assumed that if the documentation prefered threaded, it was safe.

Generally your pretty safe with threading unless you're using module
level or global variables.

I hope that helps.

Eric.