* eat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-03-29 05:24 -0700]:

> How to distinct in save() method of the model if the save operation
> will be update or insert.
>
> I want to know it BEFORE doing the save().
> I want to know it WITHOUT doing a select to a database.
>
> THe reason for that : i want to check the database conditions for the
> insert to initiate.
>
> Currently i can only imagine i could do my own function save_insert()
> save_update() and initiate them when needed , isnt there any simpler
> method??

Have you looked at this:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/db-api/#how-django-knows-to-update-vs-insert

It seems that if the object's primary key is not set, it'll be an insert; if it
is set, according to the docs, you'll have to chack against the database.

--- Amit