On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 19:27 -0700, meppum wrote:
> The behavior of the admin tool is to require a login, but if the user
> is already logged in they are redirected to the index page. I looked
> at both the template and the view for the root url of the admin tool
> but didn't see how this is being down.

It's not being done that way. In fact, the opposite is happening. If you
try to access the admin site and you are NOT logged in, you are
redirected to the login page. This is done via the
staff_member_required() wrapper around the index() function in
django.contrib.admin.views.main.

That's the normal way authenticated access is implemented, too. Normal
URL accesses go the intended page, but first check for permission and,
if not permitted, redirect to the login section (or elsewhere). That
means that logged in people don't have the extra network round-trip of
the HTTP redirect call.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
The cost of feathers has risen; even down is up!
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/