> If that's all it is, then the fix should be pretty easy: for abstract
> base classes, the intermediate table name should be based on the name of
> the child model, not the abstract model. I can't drop everything right
> this minute to look at this, but I'm a little surprised that isn't
> happening already and it should be easy enough to fix when I get some
> time this evening.

I have been looking at this for a while now and I am really stumped as to
how to pull out the child model name from inside the field. I really hope
this will be an easy fix, but I am about to give up. Should I file a ticket
anyway, despite the fact that I know you know about it?

> However that still leaves a problem in any case where m2m fields refer
> to the same model (or where somebody wants to specify the related name)
> in the abstract base class and that's probably going to be a case of
> hard cheese. Abstract base classes are an aid, not a crutch.
> Fortunately, we can detect that problem and raise a sensible error (I
> was thinking about that over lunch and it doesn't seem too hard).

I have been thinking about this since I realized my convolution earlier.
Couldn't related name be achieved by creating another abstract base class
and extending it? This would allow for traversal based on the new abstract
class name. Related names are more often than not used to avoid naming
conflicts in the related class, anything else is just semantics. Creating an
extra base class would solve the naming conflicts.