I'm working on ticket #1142
(http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/1142): "Support for multiple
database connections."  I'm putting together on a prototype which I'll
attach to the ticket (as a patch with some rough documentation) that
you could test.  I'm going to be careful not to promise when it will
be available--I'm very busy.  But I hope to resume working on it very
soon.

If anyone else knows another way to do this right now, I'd sure love
to hear about it.

--
Daryl