André,

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008, apm wrote:

> so i figured out the following (in admin/change_list.html):
>
>       {% ifequal cl.opts.verbose_name "poll" %}
>               <form action="import_polls" method="post">
>                       Import from file <input name="filename" type="text">
> <input
> value="import" type="submit">
>               </form>
>       {% endifequal %}
>
> is this the way to go or are there better options?

Are you using newforms-admin or the admin that's comes with the
trunk/latest release?  Would that admin be called oldforms-admin?  :-)

Anyway, if you're using "old" admin, checkout the "Extending Django's
Admin Interface" chapter in the Django Book:

http://www.DjangoBook.com/en/1.0/chapter17/

If you're using newforms-admin, there's a nice HowTo on the Django wiki:

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/NewformsHOWTO

Whichever you're using it's better to copy the admin template you want to
customize to your project's template directory and customize the copy.
Looking at the above resources it looks like one would use the same
directory scheme for either admin:

path/to/project/<TEMPLATE_DIR>/admin/<APP>/<MODEL>/change_list.html

using your template snippet from above, and the tutorial polls app, as an
example if your project were to be located at /home/Andre/Django/mysite
and you had a template directory named templates in your mysite directory,
you would copy the change_list.html template from the admin app to:

/home/Andre/Django/mysite/templates/admin/polls/poll/change_list.html

and customize that copy.  And, using this approach you can leave out the
ifequal block since the customized template will only be used for the
polls/poll app/model.

P.S.  I'm just starting to explore admin customization myself, so
hopefully more experienced Django user(s) will jump in and clarify
anything I might have smegged up.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org