I have added similar method to my models and forms and would like to
factorize them into base classes.  The forms part has been
straightforward.  But, it seems that models is little harder to sub-
class.  I need some guidance on sub-classing a model or if it's too
complicated, that I shouldn't bother.

I've added a method that dumps out the model's fields in a dict that's
suitable for its related form.  I've also sub-classed save().  Both
methods work just fine.  I am able to create and save my model
instances.  However I cannot retrieve them.  I get an exception when I
do a <model>.objects.get(...)  If I sub-class a model, do I have to
create a custom Manager as well?

Thanks!