> I had my project in an apache directory so maybe it has something to
> do with permissions.

Quoted from the Django Tutorial:

If your background is in PHP, you’re probably used to putting code
under the Web server’s document root (in a place such as /var/www).
With Django, you don’t do that. It’s not a good idea to put any of
this Python code within your Web server’s document root, because it
risks the possibility that people may be able to view your code over
the Web. That’s not good for security.

Put your code in some directory outside of the document root, such as /
home/mycode.