Panos,

Thanks for the links. I checked the conversation and the blog post, by
they address issues I've already solved. What I'm really struggling
with is the reverse() problem and how to cleanly move the language
activation logic from middleware (Django's default mechanism) to the
URL resolver.

Wrt the language_id/language-code choice, I went for language codes
and haven't run into any performance problems. I didn't quite
understand when a complex join involving the language code would be
needed and how that would make any significant difference in
performance.