Malcolm Tredinnick schrieb:
> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 15:37 +0200, Thomas Guettler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> has some one a script to show the difference between the
>> running database and one which get created by syncdb?
>>

> This sounds like it would be really difficult (complex) to make it work
> correctly. The output from a database tool is going to include stuff
> that you don't necessarily care about (e.g. constraints that are
> auto-created with names in some cases), the table ordering may well be
> different....,
The ordering of the columns is why I needed the diff in my case!

I use psycopg2 copy_to and copy_from to dump some data
from the production database into the test database. This failed,
because the ordering changed.

> I'm not
> sure that comparing the output of one tool with the output of an
> entirely different tool to check for differences is going to be a robust
> solution.

Both files are created with the same tool: pg_dump -s.
The diff of both files helped me to find the solution.

Thank you Malcolm for your great work!
  Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/