On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 22:19 -0700, Tim Saylor wrote:
> I have two columns in my database that must be, as a pair, unique
> throughout all the rows.  Googling tells me I want a two column unique
> index.  From the docs it looks like unique_together is what I want,
> but that looks like it makes the two columns unique from each other
> within the row.  Is there a way to do what I want?  Thanks!

It sounds like you want 'unique_together'. That specifies tuples of
columns that are unique as a tuple amongst all the rows in the table. So
if

        unique_together = [('first', 'second', 'third')]

Then for each tuple formed from the attributes ('first', 'second',
'third'), there can only be one occurrence in the table.

There is no default way in Django's ORM notation to say that 'first'
must be unique amongst itself and amongst the 'second' values, etc. That
would require adding a constraint using raw SQL.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Borrow from a pessimist - they don't expect it back.
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/