I tried appending -m cProfile -o project.profile to this call:
/usr/bin/python manage.py runfcgi...

but i got an error saying can't open cProfile - no such file or
directory.  is this even the right place to call cProfile?

the other option would be to modify this:http://code.djangoproject.com/
browser/django/trunk/django/core/handlers/profiler-hotshot.py
to work with cProfile instead.  what would I replace the
ModPythonHandler with (i'm using fastcgi)

thanks again