I can replicate this by putting in a file path that does not exist in
the HIP form. The validation fails for the file field but the error is
not rendered.

edit_inline is known to be buggy - some validation faliures on models
that are being edited inline aren't rendered, but the user is told
there is an error. I think there are a number of tickets logged, but
the official word is to wait until newforms-admin is complete. (I
think, anyone know better?)

Cheers,

Mike