On May 6, 11:14 am, "Russell Keith-Magee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Explore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  Hi. I have been trying to get django to return my models as xml.  I
> >  have tried using the xml serializer but i cannot get it to send back
> >  anything but the initial model.
>
> >  I would like to get nested xml like below (where Department has a
> >  ForeignKey to Organization).
>
> That may be what you want, but that's not what the Django serializer
> provides. The original design goal of the Django serializer was to
> allow for the definition of fixtures; output in the format you
> describe only serves to complicate the deserialization process.
>
> However, the idea is a good one. What you have requested has been
> suggested before. It is logged as ticket 4656 [1], and has been
> accepted as a feature request.
>
> [1]http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4656
>
> As I see it, you have two options:
> 1) Write your own custom XML serializer that outputs the format you
> want. Serializers are actually pretty simple to write - it's
> deserializers that cause the most problems, so this probably isn't as
> difficult as you think.
>
> 2) Work out a patch to allow this sort of expansion in the Django
> serializers. If a patch (with tests and documentation) were to be
> provided, it would eventually find itself in the trunk.
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

I have such a "full" serializer already written for JSON which I
really should have released by now :( . I don't think it would be too
hard to extend it to XML.

I've written it as an independent python module from the Django
serializers so I can just put this in my settings.py:

SERIALIZATION_MODULES = {
    'json': 'nong.api.serializers.json',
}

It is backwards compatible to a degree, i.e. it accepts all the same
arguments and produces identical output as the Django serializer, but
if you use any of the extra arguments then you'll run into trouble
deserializing as I haven't written that part yet. I discuss how it
works here in this thread [1].

Let me get my act together and release it. I'll post an update to the
list soon.

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/c930cf920e726bbd/4faa358b8c91365d#4faa358b8c91365d

regards