Hi Matt.  The reason folks don't prefer to do it within the
application code is because it introduces a delay into rendering pages
while the DELETE is executed -- even in cases where there is nothing
to delete.  By running the DELETE in a cron job you improve the
performance of your page loads.

  -- Scott Moonen