On 12.05.2008, at 15:13, M.Ganesh wrote:

> Thanks Ronny for your response, however this doesn't answer my
> requirement. Probably I've to state my requirement more clearly.  I
> have
> various pages for general viewing where authentication is not
> required.
> But if a user decides to add a record, he has to first login. I take
> him
> to a login page for that. After he logs in I want to bring him back to
> the same page. Note that a user can come to the login page from any of
> the different pages. Hence the 'previous page' is not always the same.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers

If you are using contrib.auth and it's login view. Then just pass it a
request variable called next with the url you want it to redirect to
after successful login or even better use the login_required decorator
that does it all for you.
See also the fine documentation at
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/authentication/#the-login-required-decorator

Regards
    adi

--
Adi J. Sieker         mobile: +49 - 178 - 88 5 88 13
Freelance developer   skype:  adijsieker