Yeah I'm still at a loss on this bug.

I ran the code provided in the thread.
Django's
django
/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/django/__init__.pyc
pil
/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.pyc

And then Apache's is
django
/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/django/__init__.pyc
pil
/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/PIL/__init__.pyc

As far as I can tell there is no difference!  Apache still seems to be
rejecting the image as an invalid image while the Django test server
doesn't.  What could the problem possibly be between the two
servers?  :-(