I have run into a problem that I don't understand - when I try to run
"shell manage.py shell" I just started getting an error about the
DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE environment variable not being defined.

I found the information I needed to work around the problem (on this
list - thank you, Evert Rol).  I added these two lines to manage.py:

   import os
   os.environ['DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE'] = 'myproject.settings'

and that took care of it. But it seems very strange that something like
manage.py would stop working.

I did just switch to the newforms-admin branch, but toggling back to the
Django trunk doesn't fix the problem. We are storing a few working
copies of our code on the same development box so that a few of us can
work on things without getting in each other's way. I don't know if
something connected to that could mess things up.

I'm sorry for not posing a clear, concise question, but does anyone have
any suggestions about what would keep manage.py from being able to set
that environment variable?

Dave