On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 8:43 AM, wheresdave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have been trying to setup django on a windows XP machine for almost
> 4 hours now. Each step of the way I run into a new error that I have
> to find a workaround for, which is very unfortunate.
>
> I have django 0.96.2 in my site-packages directory, and python is on
> the root of C. I have also added python to my path per instructions i
> found on another site, and python shell is now working fine.
>
> Now, when I try to run django-admin.py startproject mysite i get the
> following error
>
> ImportError: No module named django.core

That would mean Django is not properly installed in your Python's
site-packages directory.  If it were there, the import of django.core would
work.  What, exactly, do you have under c:\Python\Lib\site-packages\django?
You should have subdirectories named bin, conf, contrib, core, etc -- a
total of 19 subdirectories and an __init__.py file.

I ran many google searches on this error and none of the docs came
> back with anything useful to solve my challenge.
>
> I went to the IRC forums and they told me that Django is not on my
> path. Well, i had already tried adding to my path per the same
> instructions provided for adding python to your path, and the same
> error persisted.

An alternative way to run things is to not put Django in your site-packages
directory, but rather include it on you PYTHONPATH (not PATH) environment
variable.  It sounds like this is what people were suggesting.  But, if
you've put it in site-packages then this is not necessary, better to figure
out what is wrong with your site-packages installation.

I was then told to install SVN and pull from the trunk. I do not feel
> that is a valid workaround, because honestly i do not feel it will
> solve the problem.

Well, the SVN version has over a years worth of improvements and bug fixes
compared tot he 0.96 release, which has only a couple of security fixes that
have been applied since its release.  Some of those fixes were to the
setup.py install script, and for Windows specifically, but if you really
want to stick with 0.96.2 it can be made to work.  Personally, though, I too
would recommend SVN over the old release, just in general.

Karen