Jack,

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Jack M. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>  Used make-message.py -l sp to generate the Spanish language files.

Why are you using "sp" for Spanish?. You should be using "es" as that's the
two-letter code for the spanish language used both by the gettext
infrastructure and the browser language preferences.

If you insist on using a new "sp" custom language code you will need to make
sure:

a) you (and your users') browsers sends "sp" in the list of languages
   preference represented by the Accept-Language HTTP request header.

b) you create a minimal translation of Django to "sp" (in addition to the
   translation of your app), as per the "Locale restrictions" note here:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/i18n/#how-to-create-language-files

   and here:

     http://www.djangobook.com/en/1.0/chapter18/

   (starting on the paragraph that begins with: "The LocaleMiddleware can only
    select languages for which there is a Django-provided base translation.")

But even if you do that, I'm not sure you will get because the GNU gettext
machinery Django uses might simply refuse to handle a language that doesn't
exist (from what I can see "sp" isn't a two-lteer code known by gettext), so I
can't imagine why would you want to embark yourself in such a task.

Regards,

--
 Ramiro Morales