themplatetag + django session (or caching), you can maintain state of
variable.

I have a change to look at ASP.NET. For my understanding, it automatically
generate
Javascript for developer, good if dont want to deal with javascript, for me
it is bad idea.

ViewState, it keep state data in memory (or somewhere) to maintain
the data to maintain the data.

For your question,  Why don't you try opensource javascript framework and
use
django session.

Django session http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/sessions/
For Javascript, see above.

Regards,

For Django, you can do wantever you want, with your way.

Regards

Chatchai