Thanks Russell!

I suppose the code I want to get looks like:

settings = Settings.objects.get(owner=userid)
for switchable in ['groupon', 'companyon', 'addressfirst',
'extendnames', 'clubfieldson']:
    if switchable in data:
        settings._meta.get_field(switchable).<something> = True
    else:
       settings._meta.get_field(switchable).<something> = False

My remaining question is, as you may have understood, what text do I
use instead of <something> ?

I imagine I could have been using a python function to list some
options, but I was unable to find out how. I apologize for being
stupid.

Yours sincerely,

Wim

PS Another thing is, _meta is apparently a hidden function I am not
supposed to be using. Do you recommend filing this conversation as a
bug/feature request? Because I would be delighted when we could
address object columns as settings['groupson'] = False, in order to
open up all kinds of possible interactions.