You need MEDIA_ROOT because yes, you serve it from static.serve view during
development but when you launch you do not want to be using the devserver to
display your site. MEDIA_URL is essentially the same url you map through
Apache, lighthttpd, whatever you use

But you are right, you can use the dev server to setup where your media is
but once you go onto a more public launch viewing you will want to switch
using Apache / mod_python combo or something else.

This describes it pretty well:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/modpython/#serving-media-files