Newbie alert.

I have a model which contains a FileField.  The standard way I'd like
this field to be 'filled' is in code, rather than by user interaction
but there are circumstances where it needs to have a standard 'upload-
from-form' behaviour.

The code method generates a file in an accessible place on the file
system.

My question, after some time searching Google and this group and
failing to find an answer, is: how do I manipulate the FileField so
that it is properly set to my existing file?  That is, I want it to
behave as if a user uploaded the file, except I've done it in code
instead.  For what it's worth, I'm using the SVN version, current as
of about a week ago.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony.