On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Norman Harman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dan wrote:
>> There is a functionality which I am interested in and I wonder what is
>> the cleanest and most foward compatible way of doing things.
>>
>> I want models to sprout a suggest() method which would work like
>> save() but keep the data in some structure elsewhere that do not
>> modify the original data. Any regular call to that object would work
>> as if it wasn't modified. I also want a accept() method that would
>> commit the changes (and obviously a reject() method to discard them
>> and some way to explore the suggested changes).
>>
>> I am not interested in history at all.
>>
>> How would you go about implementing those functionalities?
>
> First guess, curious if others think its good idea.
>
> Create model with one2one nullable field "suggestion" and Boolean field
> "is_suggestion".
> If suggestion is Null then there is no suggestion.
> If suggestion is not Null it is id of suggested data.
>
> The idea is to avoid maintaining two duplicate schemas.
>

> Proly change the default Manager to only show is_suggestion == False rows.

That's a great idea!

I was thinking of making models just to save the pre/post structure of
my data but your idea works much better.

Thinking more about it, maybe I'll have suggestions from many users. I
could make a model for suggestions with a generic relation to objects
that are suggestions. I'd just have to overwrite the default manager
in all models that I want to support this (easy with inheritance!).

Thanks a lot.