On Jun 20, 8:50 am, mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I guess it was a little confusing how I formulated my problem. I just
> try again. Sorry for that.
>
> In Python what I want to do would look like the following:
> """"
> item1 = '/test/something/'
> item2 = '/test/somethingelse/'
> """"
> if item2.startswith(item1):
>     do_the_trick()
>
> Now since Django has this nice template language I need to do
> something like that:
> {% ifstartswith item2 item1 %}
>     ...do the trick
> {% endifstartswith %}
>
> is that possible?

No, you can't do that with the basic template language - it's
deliberately restricted to a few common operations. However you can
very easily define a custom template filter to do this. In your
application directory, create a subdirectory called templatetags and
put in a blank __init__.py and a file called (eg) mytags.py containing
something like:

from django import template
register = template.Library()

@register.filter