On Jun 23, 3:08 pm, Jamie Pittock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all - this may well be a very basic question but I'm gonna ask it
> anyway as, everyone needs to learn, and I can't find the answer
> anywhere else.  It's probably more related to Python than Django
> but...
>
> If you're installing additional Python libraries such as Imaging or
> Markdown, where are they supposed to go?  Installation instructions
> always say download the the files and run 'python setup.py install'
> but they never state where to put the files.
>
> Is there a specific place they need to go...or if not specific, is
> there a conventional place?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Jamie

I use virtualenv  (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv), to avoid
this problem. It then installs the additional libraries in to your
chosen environment dir, and it doesn't mess up your OS Python install.
This is especially nice for your development computer.
You can have multiple environments for your different projects (if
needed), and you always know where  'python setup.py install'  will
add your libs.

Yves