If it doesn't require authorization (seems unlikely here), would a
simple redirect to the tar file work?

If it does, look into X-Sendfile if you're using Apache (you need
mod_xsendfile) or lighty, or X-Accel-Redirect under nginx. You do only
what you need to in the Django view and hand off the actual delivery
to the web server. There've been several threads covering it in this
group.